On Sunday 28 June His Holiness made his first visit to the Glastonbury Festival. A crowd of tens of thousands, led by Patti Smith, sang “Happy Birthday to You”
The Central Somerset Gazette published “11 Things we learnt from the Dalai Lama at the Glastonbury Festival.”
1. The Dalai Lama’s secret: Don’t worry about stuff you can’t change and get nine hours sleep every night
2. “Carry a message of love, a message of tolerance, a message of forgiveness.”
3. “Oneness of humanity, then no basis to kill. I love my life. Everyone has the right to live happily. Most problems created by man. Killing, bullying, cheating exploitation. We have to find long term solutions. This very difficult.
4. “The existing education system is very much orientated about material values. This creates anger, hate. negative thinking … If we continue teaching on the value of external, material values it will be hard to find solution.”
5. “Inner value needs to be added to education from university to kindergarten. From kindergarten right up to uni. i think it’s better to include some moral education.”
6. “The long term solution of man-made problems we must look at education, about warm heartedness or sense of care.”
8. “Keep inner strength and then utilise common sense and look at things realistically.”
9. If he could have a day off from being Dalai Lama, he would go back to his farming village and drive a tractor.
10. “We are all human, we all have the same potential, potential for positive or potential for negative”
11. Does music make you happy? ” “Not really. If music really brings inner peace, can we solve problems in Syria with music? I don’t think so.